Sunday, April 10, 2011

MAY THROUGH LATE OCTOBER- SEA TURTLE NESTING SEASON


A SEA TURTLE WITH SAND ON HER FACE AND EYES


FLORIDA-THE MOST IMPORTANT NESTING AREA IN THE UNITED STATES FOR SEA TURTLES

Did you know that Florida is home to 50,000 sea turtles?  In just a few weeks female sea turtles will start coming ashore to lay her eggs.   The nesting season begins in May until late October.   The female sea turtle nests every two to three years.   In one season, she lays several   nests.
The task of coming to ashore is very hard work; the female turtle drags her massive body to the beach and uses her back flippers to dig a hole so she can lay around 100 rubbery eggs the same size as a ping pong ball.  Next, the turtle instinctively uses her flippers to cover up her eggs with sand.  Sometimes, the sand will end up on the turtle’s eyes making it virtually impossible to return back to the ocean.   This is what happened to the sea turtle I came across near my home in Haiti.   The turtle’s eyes were completely covered with sand and could not see well enough to return to the ocean. 
 I so wanted to help return the sea turtle back to the ocean, but much to my dismay my father ordered the cook to make soup out of the turtle.  YAK! YAK!  I never touched that soup and I will never, ever forget that horrible day.  That night, I cried myself to sleep.
WHAT TO DO IF YOU SEE A TURTLE
if you live near the beach, or you are on vacation and you come across a sea turtle
call the Florida Marine Patrol at 1-800-DIAL FMP

11 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you've made people aware of the nesting season which, as you've pointed out, is here now. Thank you for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by Nancy. Wow! I thought the nesting season began in May, at least this is what I learned from the research I did.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew zero about it. Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings,
    J. Aday Kennedy
    The Differently-Abled Writer & Speaker
    Children's Author of Stella the Fire Farting Dragon (April 2010)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicole, I'm so glad you turned your turtle soup story into something positive. Thanks for all the information. I hope your book helps to save lots of turtles.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica,

    Thanks for stopping by.

    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  6. Barbara,

    Thanks so much for stopping by. I am glad to help bring attention to saving the sea turtles.
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am SUCH an animal person! Thank you for sharing this info with us! I am your newest follower from the finding friends weekend blog hop! I am one of the hosts! Sorry it took so long to follow back I was sick with the flu over the weekend and never got out of bed! I wanted to stop by and say hi! I hope that you will follow me back on all my blogs.

    http://myowngrocerygame.blogspot.com/

    http://firebutterflyjewels.blogspot.com/

    http://mommysmenuplanning.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi. I found you on the Terrific Thursday Blog Hop. Following you via GFC & Facebook. Check out my blog at http://pricecrusher.blogspot.com
    Thanks again!
    Heather H.
    The Price Crusher

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, I am your youngest and newest follower from the bloghop, hope you can follow the little blog of a newbie like me, thanks in advance!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for stopping by Espanol para Ninos and JBPLBarbara Doing Good. We love books as much as animals. Would love to read more about seaturtles and how you're helping them.
    have a Great awesOme Day!!! Barbara,
    http://spanishforkids-jbplbarbara.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aren't they the most wonderful creatures? I'm trying to remember the title of a great book about a woman's life-long dedication to protecting these creatures, but can't right now. If I do I'll pop back and give it to you. You'd love the story.

    ReplyDelete